(Visit the NVQ Diplomas and Grant Information for more specific information on NVQs)
Site Safety Courses
From 2010 the UK Contractor Group (UKCG) requires all site supervisors to have attended a 2 day Site Safety Plus course or equivalent (IOSH, NEBOSH, SSSTS). Click here for a copy of UKCG's Supervisor Training Standard.
The 2-day Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) courses and the 5-day Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) can be taken with the following:
- National Construction College (NCC)..... 0844 8440466
- Safety Services (UK) Ltd (SSUK)....... 0845 402 5050
- SSG Training & Consultancy (SSG)..... 0870 043 4743
- Training & Assessment Consultants (TAC)...... 0115 985 2455
Courses take place at venues around the country throughout the year - contact the training companies listed above for further information. (There may be other providers local to you.)
Employers in scope of CITB-ConstructionSkills may be eligible for grant at £50 per day.
ASTON UNIVERSITY runs courses from time to time, for course availability call: 0121 204 3593 or go to http://www1.aston.ac.uk/study/professional/
THE NATIONAL CONSTRUCTION COLLEGE runs courses on relevant topics at venues around the country. Click on this link for more information.
THE ASSESSMENT SERVICE CENTRE (TASC) is a provider of occupational skills training and competence-assessment to the Project Control profession. It has a course Introduction to Estimating, amongst others. www.tsac.eu.com
Other Training Opportunities and Assistance
- News from CITB - July 2016
- Levy & Grant Update - important dates to note
- Structured & Flexible Funding - this provides a great opportunity to receive up-front funding for skills and training activities
- Fairness, Inclusion & Respect in the Construction Industry - helping you meet your responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010
- Construction Site Safety (GE700) - save money on your updates
- Construction Ambassadors
A leaflet outlining CITB’s Construction Ambassador programme is available here. A Local Construction Careers Adviser could run an Ambassador course for FeRFA members if this would be of interest. This would be free of charge and members with a CITB training plan in place would be able to claim £50 per person attendance grant. If this of interest, contact FeRFA in the first instance and we will pass your details on to CITB to speak to you.
- Management and Leadership Diagnostic Tool
CITB is planning to make this tool available (free of charge currently) to a number of companies with a minimum of 3 managers / supervisors to a maximum of 15 managers / supervisors. Larger companies can access it too, but this would incur a charge. You can read more about this in the brochure via the following link. If you would like to explore the possibility of utilising this you should contact your CDA* directly.
- Construction-related Work Experience
You can claim for your construction employees/students, who attend construction-related work experience as an essential part of a degree course. The grant is £30 per day and you can claim up to 48 weeks (240 days), per person, per lifetime.
Grant is available for:
More details are here: http://www.citb.co.uk/levy-grant/claiming-grants-available/construction-work-experience-grant/
- planned work-experience for students lasting at least four weeks in a row
- overseas planned work-experience
* In most cases your local Company Development Advisor (CDA) can give you more information on services and grants available – if you don’t know who your local CDA is you can use the contact page on the CITB website http://www.citb.co.uk/contact-us/employers/
Training bulletins are now included in the monthly enewsletters. Go to the News page to read the latest edition.